Friday 20 March 2015

Bookworm's Choice 1 - Midnight's Children

I began reading Salman Rushdie when I was in college. Despite 'Midnight's Children' being the best of his creations,  I didn't get to read it until after college.  But once I began, there was no keeping it down - literally, until I finished it the first time and even today , the magic that bound me to the book and thereby to it's author are intact.
   I don't intend to summarise it for whoever hasn't read it. But if you are someone who's ready to trust yourself to the narrator and turn a blind eye on the real facts - I assure you that you are in for a really awe-inspiring journey. But to enjoy the experience , you have to let go of any pre-conceived notions or judgements.  You have to believe Salim - the narrator.

And now to my most favourite part - the character I took away from the story.  Salim Sinai. Not because he's the protagonist. But for his famous nose. As a kid ,people have made fun of me for having a nose different from others around me. And if it weren't for Salim and my mother , I would've definitely undergone a rhinoplasty ( nose job) to set it right.

And for Salim's resilience and his ability to put things into perspective.  And most importantly , for prompting me to put my ideas into words/books/papers without fear of being judged.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do let me know what you think about the blog